Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Root Beer Pulled Pork

This year I vowed to use my Crock Pot more. I love to cook and using the Crock Pot has never really worked for me. For some reason, I feel like no matter what you put into a Crock Pot, it always comes out tasting like an amorphous bland mush...NOT my idea of appetizing. So high and low I searched and experimented to find a recipe that would finally impress. Root Beer Pulled Pork may just be the answer!


The picture above is from Better Homes and Gardens but the recipe is my own. We just ate ours too quickly to document! Now, I'm not much for measurements when it comes to cooking. I'm a "taste as you go" and make adjustments as needed kinda gal but here's {approximately} what you'll need to make your own:

Pork roast {2 1/2 to 3 lbs}
Root Beer {24 oz or 2 cans}
Ketchup {just a generous squirt}
1 clove garlic minced
Worcestershire Sauce {just a splash}
Small yellow onion sliced into wedges
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
Hamburger buns {split & lightly toasted}


Now this first step, while not typical for the conventional Crock Pot recipe, is preciously why I actually enjoyed the end product. I like to sear all sides of my roast BEFORE placing it in the Crock Pot. By searing the meat, you lock in the flavor. See all those brown bits of goodness? That's pure love for your taste buds. Trust me, this extra 5 minute step will add mountains of flavor-so worth it!


 For the wet rub, I mix a generous squirt of ketchup with a splash of Worcestershire sauce, add in the minced garlic with salt and pepper to taste. Give this concoction a swirl and rub it on the fatty side of the roast. Add the onions to the bottom of the Crock Pot then place the roast on top of the onions, fatty side up {as the fat melts it self bastes the roast}. Finally, pour the Root Beer at the base of the roast. Cover that baby up and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until the meat shreds easily from the roast.



Once the roast is cooked, I like to let it cool down before shredding. It's always a good idea to let cooked meat rest 15-30 minutes before cutting into it. As the heat redistributes evenly throughout the meat it allows the juices to lock into the tissue, cut too soon and you'll loose all that liquid delicious to the pan. The final step is to toss the shredded meat with your BBQ sauce of choice and serve with toasted buns.

Seriously, so good!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa! I posted your recipe before I realized this is your very own blog! Congrats, it looks great :)
    It's so funny, I was just talking with Lori today about cooking meat in crock pots and how I remembered you said meat cooked in crock pots always turns out bland and Lori suggested searing beforehand...which you did, too. Totally going to try it. So glad I found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! Yep, searing is the trick-I'm so glad I can finally use my Crock Pot with results I enjoy. It saves so much time! Glad you found my blog too, thanks for reading!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks for reading!