Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ruler Growth Chart



When designing our nursery, I wanted to design for a feeling rather than a theme. Since my goal is to keep our gender neutral nursery design for all of our bambinos, I knew that "whimsy" would be our main motif. This DIY ruler growth chart is the perfect addition! And since we know our current house won't be our forever home, it's nice to know we can make memories we can take with us when we outgrow our current digs.

Here's what you'll need to make your own:

1 x 8 x 6 board
220 grit sandpaper
stain color of your choice {I used Oak but it I could do it over I would probably go with Walnut}
paint brush
rag
black sharpie
ball point pen or pencil
newspaper

The first thing I did was dig through the boards at Home Depot to score the least warped board I could find. It helps to look down the side of the board and eye ball it for straightness.  After picking up a small can of stain I went home to give the board a good rub down with the ole 220. My husband recommends you sand everything outside of the garage, but I recommend using a Shop Vac to tidy up the dust because somehow that seems easier to me than walking the five feet to the driveway. {He's a patient man}.

I gave my board two applications of stain and let the board cure for two days {even though the can stated 4-6 hours as the required wait time} because I wanted to finish this project indoors and I didn't want to take the fumes in with me. I used a measuring tape to mark off 1 foot marks along the entire length of board.  Since I wanted to capture the old school ruler look,  I used a square to make the "quarter" lines 2 inches long and the "eighth" lines 1 inch long.  And because I want to hang my ruler on the wall and still accurately measure Eli's height, I started marking off my board at the 6 inch mark.



After playing around with different fonts, I chose Century for the numbers 1-6 in a 200 point font. I used the newspaper transfer method to trace the numbers onto the board. Basically, you just take a single piece of text heavy  newspaper like a page from the classifieds and stick it under the font print out. Place the number print out and newspaper on the designated section of board and use a ballpoint pen or pencil to trace over the number print out. This will create a faint trace pattern on the board which you can then go over with a pencil and fill in with a black sharpie.



Once you've marked, traced and filled in your lines and numbers slap a sawtooth picture hanger on the back of the ruler and hang that baby up!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts, thanks for reading!